Underwriter - Manager of Large Case TQD Underwriting
Zurich is one of the world’s leading insurance groups, and one of the few to operate on a global basis. Our mission is to help our customers understand and protect themselves from risk. With about 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries, we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. We help individuals, small and medium sized companies and global corporations around the world understand and protect themselves from risk by offering a wide range of insurance products, solutions and advisory services.
Working under minimal direction, the Manager of Large Case TQD (Training, Quality and Development) Underwriting influences and determines strategies and leads assigned team members to maximize team performance and company results.
The successful candidate will be active in the Marketplace by engaging with our key customers, reinsurers and new service and digital solution providers. You will work with colleagues in Strategic Partnerships, Distribution Support and Development teams to ensure a full and integrated support for our customers. In addition, you will work with Market Management, Distribution Support and Development teams to develop and evolve a service proposition that drives growth.
- Effectively communicates company strategies and philosophies to team members and ensures effective delivery or risk selection and financial control integrity, including the effective operation of the Company risk appetite
- Inspires, develops and mentors assigned team members and other employees
- Influences and determines strategies and leads assigned personnel to assure life insurance applications are evaluated within established company guidelines while maximizing positive customer experience for both internal and external customers
- Directs underwriting activities and systems to achieve stability, control, and improvement in risk acceptance and classification and protect the overall mortality experience of the Company
- Takes action to consistently meet service schedules and established quality standards; continuously improves quality and service controls to achieve company standards
- Effectively leads team performance, including but not limited to, customer experience, work product quality, and efficiency to ensure compliance with established company and regulatory guidelines
- Partners with other leaders to lead, develop, pilot and execute improvements (e.g., process, quality, defect reduction, lead special projects)
- Leads the team in maintaining thorough, up-to-date, working knowledge of established procedures, methods, contractual provisions, and regulatory requirements
- Continues to build personal skill set by participating in approved in-house or outside insurance / industry-related courses / seminars as deemed necessary to expand product / system/ process knowledge
- Understands, supports, and advocates organization’s overall strategy. Models, promotes and advocates Company core values.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Additional Job Functions:
- Translate business objectives into clearly defined business cases, costs or schedules, determining technical pricing in order to meet the aims of the underwriting business plan
- Lead the implementation of projects for a function or business area to deliver defined objectives with allocated resources and timescales
- Monitor and oversee portfolio exposure, taking appropriate action to ensure no limits have been breached and full compliance with relevant regulations
- Analyse key themes from data to determine exposure and set coverage and act as decision maker, when appropriate, in the resolution of dispute based on the impact on the organization
- Contribute to and implement agreed technical standard, controls, practices and procedures thereby maintaining integrity of underwriting function.
- Develop and propose action plans for improvement in dealing with complex customer cases in response to business partner and customer feedback to enable the organization to meet their needs
- Provide expert advice within specialized area of underwriting to key stakeholders/customers in order to identify and deliver solutions that benefit the organization and their customers
- Use insights from customers, distributors and own technical expertise to develop new or enhanced propositions that meet customer needs
- Support the design and implementation of rating tools and methodologies to deliver value to customers within own area, ensuring they are commercially viable
- Develops members of the team/underwriting department to raise the capability levels of the organization
Performance Management Accountabilities:
- Model behaviours that demonstrate commitment to corporate values
- Complete the performance management cycle with staff, including providing coaching and feedback for improved performance
- Meet objectives of SBU/SSU people management plan
- Ensure all staff have and are implementing development plans Take action to manage own personal development and encourage others to do the same
Your Skills and Experience:
- Required – DMU AMS or equivalent and appropriate experience of leading large case teams or development underwriting functions
- Desired – Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Be able to cope with or drive change in a fast moving environment with varying workloads and pressures
- Have excellent communication and influencing skills – written and verbal
- Strong commercial acumen
- Collaboration and facilitation skills – ability to bring the right people together
- Contribute to a positive and supportive team culture
In return we are offering an attractive salary plus a generous benefits package including bonus and defined contribution pension scheme. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities.
Our offices are based just a 5 minute walk from Swindon Town Train Station. Alternatively we have an arrangement for heavily subsided local car parking.
As a company, Zurich in the UK is proud to be named as one of the Top 25 Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for over the last six consecutive years reflecting the effort that goes into ensuring Zurich attract and retain the best people whilst ensuring our staff receive the right level of coaching and support to progress their careers
At Zurich we believe that having a culture of inclusion is essential in delivering good results. Attracting, retaining and developing a diverse workforce where employees feel valued, respected and empowered allows people to reach their full potential. As a business this diversity helps us to better reflect and understand our 4 million customers’ needs to allow us to drive better outcomes. As a global organisation, with an increasingly agile workforce, we're happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
As an equal opportunities employer, Zurich celebrates the diversity of our people and we welcome applications from everyone.
Primary Location : United Kingdom-England-Swindon Schedule : Full-time Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time Job Posting : 06/15/17