Assistant Insurance Officer
We have an excellent opportunity for an Assistant Insurance Officer to join our Insurance Services Team at Solihull Council.
Insurance Services are a small team responsible for managing the Risk Finance Strategy for the Council and Solihull Community Housing. We act as advisors and intermediaries, providing a range of Insurance Services to Academy schools through the Midland Academy Insurance Group and to community schools through our School Insurance Framework.
We provide Insurance Services to all areas within the Council along with managing all motor, liability, property and travel claims that may be received. We use a mix of external insurance and internal funding arrangements to manage those liabilities and utilise a range of experts and suppliers such as Solicitors and Loss Adjusters to support the claims provision.
As Assistant Insurance Officer you will work alongside the Insurance Officer and Insurance Manager and be responsible for multiple insurance disciplines from claims, underwriting and risk.
- Manage an insurance programme of your own ensuring the underwriters are providing the expected service, dealing with issues that may arise and assisting in the renewal or tender processes as required.
- Manage a caseload of claims ranging from liability, motor and property claims in conjunction with the Council's claims handling providers;
- Provide support to the Insurance Manager to manage Claims Handling contract(s) and ensure an efficient and cost effective claims handling service, with the aim of reducing claims spend.
- Assist with renewal and tender processes of the Councils insurance arrangements along with that of our school customers.
- Provide advice and support to Council Officers and customers on a regular basis.
You will have:
- A Foundation Insurance Test Award from the Chartered Insurance Institute (or equivalent)
- Previous experience of working within a professional general insurance environment.
- Experience of dealing with people of all levels using negotiating and persuasion skills to achieve positive outcomes.
- Knowledge of the Civil Procedure Rules and general claims handling within an insurance or similar type environment.
- A good understanding of policy wordings and interpreting regulations and relevant legislation.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office packages including Word, Excel and Outlook (or equivalent).
In return this is an excellent opportunity to diversify and increase your breadth of insurance knowledge within this multi-faceted and varied role.
We also offer:
- Flexible working, including flexi leave up to 24 days per year and agile working arrangements
- The opportunity to buy up to 10 days additional leave per year
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme – a 24 hour independent, free and confidential advice and support service
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Employee benefits including a staff discount card
Use the 'Apply' button to be redirected to our site and submit your application.
If you have a specific question or require further information regarding this post, please contact Steve Simonds, Insurance Manager on 0121 704 8411 or Stephen Goring, Insurance Officer on 0121 704 8414.
Interview Date – week commencing 11th March 2019