Location: Home-based (or Manchester office based considered) with travel throughout Scotland, Newcastle and the North East
Salary: Commensurate with experience plus a good range of benefits
Hours: 35 hours a week, Monday to Friday
- Support the delivery of the Regional Business Plan through underwriting existing business and new business.
- Maintain the highest level of Underwriting Authority to support empowered underwriting within the Region.
- Act as an underwriting referral point, and coach, for less experienced colleagues.
- Work collaboratively with Key Account Managers and Business Development Managers by providing targeted underwriting activity across Broker panels.
- Act as niche subject matter expert and referral point, internally and externally.
- Allocate time on a 60:40 basis for external: internal work.
- Proactively develop commercially successful relationships through specialist underwriting activity.
- Develop and maintain productive internal relationships including Class of Business Directors, Niche Directors and Regional Underwriting Managers.
- Act as a regional stakeholder for the management of external tripartite relationships.
- Act as a regional lead on prospecting/pipelining activity. Utilise CRM to build long term strategies to target and win new business opportunities.
- Present risk based solutions pulling on innovation and continuous improvement, working in conjunction with risk control and claims.
- Promote Ecclesiastical’s brand, values and reputation in its markets, with customers, suppliers and partners by having a visible and credible market presence.
- Actively expand personal technical and niche knowledge both informally (networking internally and externally, internet, industry press) and formally (In-house training, CII, CPD)
- Promote other Business Units such as Ansvar, Schemes, Broking, EdenTree and EPSL.
Key performance indicators:
- Delivery of the Regional Business Plan and its profitable growth objectives.
- Delivery of GWP targets for new and existing business.
- Quality of underwriting and business decisions made.
- Utilisation of CRM system to plan, monitor and deliver agreed levels of activity and production.
- Activity and effective presence at key insurance and niche sector events e.g. Association of British Insurers and British Insurance Brokers Association. Charity, Heritage and Education forums.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- ACII or commitment to work towards within an agreed timescale.
- Proven track record in a senior underwriting role.
- Significant experience of building and maintaining co-operative and productive relationships at all levels.
- Confident and influential communicator at all levels.
- The ability to coach others to develop and enhance their performance.
- Charitably owned – In 2014 we set ourselves a goal, to raise £50m for charity over 3 years. In March 2016 we reached that goal, almost a year ahead of schedule and committed to delivering a further £100m. We’re also the UK’s 4th largest corporate donor to charity according to the 2017/8 DSC Guide to Charitable Giving.
- Financially secure – ‘A rated’: S&P A- rated; AM Best A (Excellent).
- Strong presence in specialist markets – We insure over 40,000 not-for-profit organisations and charities in the UK, more Grade 1 listed buildings than any other insurer and we’ve been protecting communities for 130 years.
- Committed to customers – We’re regarded as the best in many of our core markets: brokers voted us best education, charity and commercial heritage.
- Professional – Our UK insurance business achieved Corporate Chartered status in 2013.
- Award-winning – We’ve been shortlisted for and have won prestigious insurance industry awards every year for the last ten years. We are consistently recognised as the Best Ethical Investment Provider and we achieved Business in the Community’s ‘Community Mark’ award for excellence in community investment.
- Community-focused – Our people are encouraged to take at least one day a year to help a charity of their choice, offering practical and professional support, as part of our MyGiving programme. .
- Ethical approach – Founded by Churchmen in 1887 to protect Anglican churches from fire, one of the first providers to establish a range of ethical investment funds.
- Expert – We are involved in the insurance of many World Heritage Sites in the UK and prestigious Stately Homes, reflecting our specialism in Heritage properties. We work closely with building restoration and preservation organisations that draw upon our expertise.
- Deep relationships – We work closely with specialist brokers and in partnership with key organisations such as Historic England and Heritage Alliance who support our customers and we have maintained strong links with the Anglican Church for 130 years.
Please indicate your preference of location within your application (Home-based/Manchester office).
Early applications are encouraged.
Find out more about us at www.ecclesiastical.com
Your privacy is important to us. We will process your personal data in accordance with the applicable data protection law.
The data controller in respect of the personal data which we may hold about you is Ecclesiastical Insurance Office plc who you can contact via the Data Protection Officer, at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester, GL1 1JZ or on 01452 528190 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have provided us with personal data with a view to seeking employment we will process your personal data on the legal basis that you are giving your consent to our processing it for the purpose of assessing your suitability for employment. If you do not agree, or if you subsequently withdraw your consent and your application has not progressed to our shortlisted applicants stage we will delete the data.
If your application is shortlisted, additional personal information will be required and we will provide a further data privacy notice before that is collected. No sensitive personal data such as health or convictions should be provided to us before it is requested.
Apply for Development Underwriter
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly