Branch Underwriting Manager
We have an opportunity for a highly motivated and experienced Branch Underwriting Manager to lead the operational underwriting function, applying underwriting and pricing strategy, to build technical excellence and deliver profit and income targets.
AXA Commercial Lines Intermediary (CLI) is targeted to deliver annual income targets of around £1.2bn GWP for AXA Insurance with a drive to focus on profitable business. The Commercial network is responsible for sales, servicing and trading for all our customers in Intermediary.
You'll be responsible for the delivery of planned underwriting results through underwriting account management (revenue & product), financial planning, account monitoring and analysis of underwriting trend.
Mostly it’s about your people, you'll need to lead your people to deliver great results and develop their technical capabilities.
You will also have the opportunity to influence the underwriting philosophy & strategy through relationship with Technical Centre and Central Commercial Underwriting to achieve financial objectives.
With a presence in over 60 countries, and 165,000 employees serving the needs of 107 million customers, AXA is big.
But never too big to care for every single person who works here. So when you join us, we promise to put our collective might behind you and your career.
You’ll work in an open and supportive environment where you’ll be developed, challenged and encouraged to move around to achieve even bigger and better things – nationally and internationally. You’ll learn directly from senior leaders, from the best in our business. And you’ll enjoy real responsibility, really early on.
Every large company today talks about supporting diversity and inclusion. But at AXA UK, these values form an integral part of everything we do. For us, it’s about bringing together the best talent, helping people to realise their full potential by being 100% themselves at work and delivering outstanding service to everyone – regardless of difference.
Proud to be part of the AXA Group, the number one global insurance brand and a worldwide leader in financial services, AXA Insurance businesses employ over 5,500 in a network of offices across the UK. Our expert teams care for a huge range of customers, helping them protect their cars, homes and businesses against life’s uncertainties. Whether bought directly, through brokers or through a number of corporate partners, our market-leading products are trusted by millions.
- ACII qualification desirable
- Degree level or other equivalent qualification preferred
Skills & Experience:
- Proven experience of portfolio management
- Proven experience and ability to lead & motivate underwriting teams
- Previous experience of working at a senior level within a commercial insurance environment; sound understanding of insurance market and processes essential
- Excellent relationship management skills and experience of building successful long term relationships both internal and external
- Ability to create and maintain an open and honest culture which drives engagement, development and opportunity for all employees
- People and resource management skills, with proven experience and ability in leading and motivating teams.
- Excellent communication skills
- You will be a pragmatic decision maker with good analytical and numerical reasoning skills
- Strong long & short term planning & analytical skills with proven experience of both operational & strategic planning in previous roles
- Proven experience in decision making on a wide range of technical underwriting scenarios within a Commercial environment
- Strong level of technical underwriting expertise in a commercial insurance environment
- To understand profitability of the business within the intermediary channel
What we offer
As you’d expect from a global leader, our reward package is competitive & varied – here’s a small selection of our current benefits:
- Annual bonus Scheme
- Pension scheme with employer contributions as well as your own
- 28 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Free life assurance (10 x basic salary)
- Company car or cash allowance
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible benefit options, including pension and life cover flexing, holiday purchase, benefit car, childcare vouchers, health, dental and critical illness plans and bikes4work
- Structured personal development with comprehensive training and talent programmes, including technical skills Academies offering industry recognised qualifications
- Support with professional studies
- Discount on all AXA Insurance products, including insurance, breakdown cover & healthcare
- Interest free season ticket loan scheme
Important notice: We’ve recently become aware of a recruitment scam in which candidates are asked to be interviewed on Google Hangouts. It is not our policy to conduct interviews via Google Hangouts (we much prefer face-to-face), so if you have been asked to do this, please let the recruitment team know and we’ll do our best to advise you. Likewise, if you’re unsure if the person you’re speaking to is genuinely an AXA recruiter or the job you’re applying for is legitimately from AXA, please get in touch and we can check for you. We cannot be held responsible for any interviews conducted without our knowledge and authorisation. If you’re unsure and would like some advice, feel free to get in touch with our recruitment team.
To apply, please click the Apply button below