Legal Counsel - General Insurance
As part of the legal team in the UK, to assist in providing general legal support to the Underwriting, Claims, Compliance, Finance, IT, Human Resources, Strategy, Operations and other functions
- Assist the UK Legal Team in providing legal services, primarily to the UK companies, but also to other group companies as required.
- Contract drafting and interpretation on both inwards and outwards business. To provide assistance to the underwriters and outwards reinsurance team as necessary.
- To provide support and guidance to the underwriting and claims teams, including advising upon a wide range of insurance and reinsurance coverage issues, disputes and wordings.
- Oversee the Licensing framework for non-US Companies, including ensuring excellent communication with business units re: licensing requirements, timely and accurate production of all necessary licences and associated filing obligations (new and renewal).
- Provide, based on a strong knowledge of contract law, legal advice and drafting support in connection with a wide range of commercial contracts including IT contracts, service agreements and confidentiality agreements.
- Provide assistance to the company secretaries of the UK companies in drafting resolutions and taking minutes of meetings and completing corporate filings and assisting on corporate projects as required.
- To provide support on inter-group arrangements, including inter-group reinsurance, loans and binding authorities and to ensure accurate records are kept.
Skills & experience
- Solicitor qualified in England & Wales (or relevant equivalent) with more than 2 years Post-qualification Experience.
- Experience in corporate and/or commercial law and contract drafting and negotiation.
- Experience of working in/for the London insurance market or the insurance sector (whether in private practice or in-house) desirable.
- Ability to work effectively independently, with some guidance where needed.
- Strong people management skills.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Strong customer focus.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in fast moving environment with rapidly evolving targets.