Civil Litigation Solicitor - Manchester
Avencia Consulting are working on behalf of a highly regarded independent SRA authorised and regulated legal business offering services to both insured and non-insured clients. The firm are an expert in legal services and specialise in civil and employment disputes and regulatory law, currently looking for an accomplished lawyer to join their civil litigation team in Manchester.
The civil litigation team work mainly for insurers representing mainly SME's and individuals in a range of disputes with a range of values (from small claims disputes to £multi-million contract, commercial, construction and insurance coverage disputes).
The team's clients usually (but not always) benefit from an insurance or affinity relationship. The team acts for both Claimants and Defendants.
Recent work highlights include advising insurers in relation to a high-profile coverage issue in respect of a claim worth in excess of £5million, representing a statutory water undertaker in a significant claim arising out of a sewer strike on a large housing development and pursuing a claim for a property owner for £800,000-worth of flood damage.
The legal advice line helps over 200,000 callers every year with an award winning Law Hub being used by thousands of businesses on a daily basis.
Clients and business partners comprise businesses, high net worth individuals, and associations across a broad spectrum of industries.
Operating out of offices in Manchester, London and Croydon, employing over 60 specialist solicitors. The legal teams guide, support, defend and protect clients through a wide range of key legal services.
Duties and accountabilities
- Have previous experience of dealing with insurance claims (in particular, liability insurance claims and / or legal expenses insurance claims) and may well come from an established insurance-focused firm or team.
- Be able to manage their own busy case load - including recommending reserves and setting strategies.
- Deliver billing and other key performance indicators.
- Ideally be able to establish, develop and maintain corporate and individual client relationships - both internally and externally.
- Be able to supervise paralegals on some smaller files and delegate tasks to junior colleagues / administrative support staff where necessary and appropriate.
- Work within an established team of 4 lawyers and 2 paralegals.
- Provide both contentious and non-contentious legal advice representing businesses and individuals in an insured and uninsured capacity.
- Be able to consider and advise upon insurance policy coverage issues where necessary.
Skills, knowledge and experience
The successful candidate will:
- Have previous legal (insurance) experience.
- Have experience of client management and practice development.
- Be able to demonstrate technical excellence.
- Have some business following or some business development experience, although this is preferable rather than a prerequisite.
- Be expected to develop and bring in new business to the department.
- Have knowledge of legal/insurance relationships and their interaction.
- Demonstrate first class client care and communication skills (both written and oral).
- Have high attention to detail and accurate case management skills.
- Demonstrate positive and co-operative interaction with team members.