Assistant Underwriter | Credit & Political Risk
To underwrite business in accordance with the department's business plans and guidelines, helping the department to achieve profitable growth.
- Be aware of and to comply with the FSA Principles for Business and, if applicable, the FSA Statements of Principle for Approved Persons.
- Review, negotiate, accept or decline risks on behalf of the company.
- Ensure all business is thoroughly evaluated and rated, and that risks written adhere to the company's underwriting standards and individual authority limits.
- Develop relationships with brokers and clients including overseas visits and travel, where necessary.
- Support the team leader in developing new business in line with the annual divisional underwriting business plan.
- Enter risk details accurately onto Aggregate Exposure Sheet) and to check 3rd party data entry of policies and endorsements.
- Assist with developing and modifying Policy Wordings, Clauses and Exclusions as circumstances require and as directed by the team leader.
- Support and represent the company on market associations and trade bodies.
- Adhere to all relevant Lloyd's guidelines and practices.
Skills & experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent standard
- Completion/progression towards ACII qualification
- Relevant work experience within the insurance industry, ideally within this specific sector
- Able to speak and write clearly.
- Confident and fluent in negotiation and deal making.
- Presentation skills appropriate for a professional setting.
- Comfortable with technology.
- Adaptable to change in a fluid commercial environment.
- Comfortable working in a team environment.
- Familiar with the Credit & Political Risk market.
- Willing to use own initiative within authorised parameters.
- Able to travel abroad when required.
- Socially confident and hospitable.