About the role
The Insurance Team is part of the Resources Directorate in Reading Borough Council and we are looking to recruit an experienced Insurance Manager (remote working) to help the Council achieve its ambitious plans. Reporting to the Chief Auditor, you will work closely with all Council services and provide professional leadership and management of the Council’s insurance function.
With your knowledge and experience, you will develop, implement and review the Council’s risk financing arrangements to protect the Council’s assets and liabilities through appropriate insurance and self-financing policies and arrangements
We are looking for an energetic Insurance Manager with commercial acumen and solid understanding of insurance with demonstrable experience of underwriting policies, managing insurance claims and negotiating with loss adjustors, brokers and solicitors. Ideally, you will have experience in managing an insurance service involving high value, complex and specialist liability and property insurance claims. You will also have an excellent knowledge of risk management and experience of developing and implementing a risk aware culture in a large organisation.
Knowledge and experience of insurance regulation, case law principles and how these are applied within a local government setting is essential. This is an opportunity to develop or extend a career as an Insurance Manager and will suit talented and ambitious professionals seeking to take the next step in their career.
The small team are based within Reading Civic Offices, however following the pandemic remote working has become an important feature of our new working practises.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 8th October
Interview Date: w/c 18th and/or 25th October via Microsoft Teams
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.