We're insurance specialists who give people and businesses across the globe the confidence and freedom to perform at their best. What defines us is how we work. Originally family-run, the same values exist today and we pride ourselves on being down-to-earth and easy to deal with.
Our experience over 90 years has honed our approach to business and how we think ahead to tomorrow. We consider our markets with care, balancing opportunity with common sense. When we innovate, we do so to stay. We take the time to get to know the businesses we insure, and our underwriters are empowered to make quick, final decisions to keep the business moving forward.
The successful candidate will be a part of the Leeds office and the renewals team within UK National Markets.
The role is based within the renewals department dealing with a wide variety of Biomedical, Life Science & Technology Renewals. Working alongside other departments within the business to develop and maintain relationships both internally and externally and deliver an exceptional service to our brokers.
The role of the assistant underwriter is to work as part of the Science & Technology team providing an excellent underwriting service for brokers in the UK. You will work as a member of a team and be pro-active and willing to help brokers across all classes of business. You will be required to develop and maintain good relationships internally and externally. Monitor and analyse broker activity to identify success and areas for improvement and provide pro-active feedback to the team manager. You will have responsibility for renewals with a desire to be visible to our brokers through telephone engagement.
Duties and accountabilities
* Provide and maintain a good level of underwriting, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of company guidelines and authority levels in order to achieve defined objectives
* Underwriting risks in accordance within own personal level of underwriting authority
* Provide excellent service to our brokers, prioritising renewals and mid-term adjustments and referrals whether emanating from the broker e-trading platform, Acturis or by email/phone to ensure deadlines are met
* Ensure incoming calls to the team are answered promptly and professionally
* Diarise and follow up renewals with brokers with the purpose of securing and retaining business
* Review broker generated activities and encourage broker to deal with Markel by highlighting our product benefits and negotiating terms. Analyse broker performance and report findings to the team manager
* Manage renewal cases working as appropriate with the broker to secure renewal and upsell/ cross-sell additional covers
* Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with the Technical teams in Leeds and the wider business
* Assisting the team and wider business with ad hoc projects
Skills & experience
Skills, knowledge and experience
The successful candidate will have:
* Proven relevant insurance experience and demonstrable technical skills
* Background and experience in our classes of business is desirable, but not necessary
* Have excellent written and spoken communication skills
* Experience of e-trading platforms
* Demonstrable IT skills including MS Office and our systems including the broker e-trading platform
* Be studying for/or be willing to study for CII qualifications