We're insurance specialists who give people and businesses across the globe the confidence and freedom to perform at their best. What defines us is how we work. Originally family-run, the same values exist today and we pride ourselves on being down-to-earth and easy to deal with.
Our experience over 90 years has honed our approach to business and how we think ahead to tomorrow. We consider our markets with care, balancing opportunity with common sense. When we innovate, we do so to stay. We take the time to get to know the businesses we insure, and our underwriters are empowered to make quick, final decisions to keep the business moving forward.
The successful candidate will be a part of the Leeds office and the renewals team within UK National Markets.
The role is based within the renewals department dealing with a wide variety of Social Welfare, Care, Not For Profit and Charity policies. Working alongside other departments within the business to develop and maintain relationships both internally and externally and deliver an exceptional service to our brokers.
The role of the underwriter is to work as part of the Social Welfare team providing an excellent underwriting service for brokers in the UK. You will work as a member of a team and be pro-active and willing to help brokers across all classes of business. You will be required to develop and maintain good relationships internally and externally. Monitor and analyse broker activity to identify success and areas for improvement and provide pro-active feedback to the team manager. You will have responsibility for renewals with a desire to be visible to our brokers through telephone engagement.
Duties and accountabilities
* Demonstrate and promote a thorough knowledge of company guidelines and authority levels in order to achieve profitability and underwriting objectives
* Provide excellent service to our brokers, prioritising renewals and mid-term adjustments and referrals whether emanating from our broker e-trading platform or by email/phone to ensure deadlines are met
* Underwrite renewals within the defined underwriting authority
* Actively manage and provide an efficient service to brokers to maintain good relationships
* Attend underwriting meetings as required throughout the year required to provide insight into developments, trends and feedback on market conditions
* Manage renewal cases working as appropriate with the broker to secure renewal and upsell/ cross-sell additional covers
* Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with the Technical teams in Leeds and the wider business
* Assisting the team and wider business with ad hoc projects
Skills & experience
Skills, knowledge and experience
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
* Have a demonstrable underwriting experience - ideally in social welfare/care risks, although commercial insurance would be considered
* Have excellent written and spoken communication skills
* High level of accuracy and attention to detail
* Track record in building and developing broker relationships
* Demonstrable IT skills including MS Office and our systems including the broker e-trading platform
* Proven ability to renew business whilst maintaining underwriting discipline
* Be studying for/or be willing to study for CII qualifications