We are looking to further grow the Reading & Birmingham commercial teams and bring to market a great opportunity to join us as a Senior Underwriter in Property and Casualty.
The Senior Underwriter plays a critical role in managing the profitability and income of the branch, owning the financial results for designated accounts and brokers. The role demands a high level of influence on the Underwriting team, increasing the ability to collaborate with a range of stakeholders and developing the technical and trading capability of the branch.
The role encompasses many opportunities to contribute to the development and success of the team, not just from a growth and profitability perspective but driving service excellence to our customers. Ensuring close collaboration is supported internally across the teams will be an important focus area, as this will enable the team to be set up for success, by engaging and building key relationships with the brokers and stakeholders.
This is about working smarter and more efficiently - giving us the perfect platform to deliver our business strategy.
At AXA we’re adopting a Hybrid way of working, empowering our people to balance their time between home and the Reading /Birmingham office in a way that works best for them, their team and our customers. The role will also include time out visiting brokers in and around the area.
What you’ll be doing:
- Delivery of planned underwriting result for designated accounts through proactive account review, analysis of underwriting trends and improvement plans implemented to improve profitability.
- Manage underwriting relationship with key brokers from designated accounts to deliver profitable growth. Increased focus on “double red” brokers.
- Coach, train and develop Underwriters to continually improve their technical and trading capability.
- Be the referral point for Underwriters, coaching Underwriters to make decisions within their empowerment and providing technical and trading input to improve the quality of underwriting decisions.
- Actively manage and review underwriting standards and licences within the team ensuring effective management and deployment of empowerment.
- Support Trading Team Manager to effectively manage the service provided to brokers and input to the performance management of Underwriters.
- Audit & Governance- maintain and monitor an effective control environment compliant with all regulatory & relevant AXA UK & Group control standards
- Although the role has no Direct reports, the Senior Underwriter plays a key role in developing and supporting the performance of the team Underwriters.
- Progress towards Dip CII qualification desirable or equivalent experience
- Technical underwriting expertise in a commercial insurance environment
- Sound understanding of insurance market and processes across commercial lines insurance operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills, through written and verbal communication skills
- Proven experience in decision making on a wide range of technical underwriting scenarios within a Commercial environment
- Coaching and development skills within in a similar environment and experience of working in teams and successful record of delivering results.
- Strong trading capability – commercial awareness, negotiation skills, ability to build strong broker relationships.
- Pragmatic decision maker with good analytical and numerical reasoning skills
- Strong analytical skills with proven experience of account monitoring and action planning
- Excellent risk assessment and risk management skills
IDD: This position has been defined as an Insurance Distribution Directive (IDD) role under the IDD regime which means that in addition to pre-employment screening checks, the successful candidate will be subject to background screening every 4 years with an annual declaration in interim years.
What We Offer
One of the best things about joining AXA is our rewards package. At AXA UK, we’re appreciative of the people who work for us and our rewards package is reviewed regularly to reflect that. You can expect to receive:
- Competitive annual salary
- Annual company & performance-based bonus
- Contributory pension scheme (up to 12% employer contributions)
- Life Assurance (up to 10 x annual salary)
- 25 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays
- Opportunity to buy up to 5 extra days leave or sell up to 3 days leave
- AXA employee discounts
- Gym benefits
AXA is proud to support the needs of our employees and as such understands everyone has individual work and home life responsibilities. We’re happy to discuss flexible working arrangements for this role, should this be a requirement for you.
At AXA, we want to become one of the most inspiring companies to work for and to achieve this ambition, we need the best talent to come and work for us. We look for candidates with the right skills and values to join us and selection is based on a fair and equal process. We’re proud to be committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all backgrounds. As a financial services company, all successful candidates will be subject to preemployment checks, so we can ensure regulatory compliance.