The senior underwriter works with Account Management/Business Development colleagues to build, maintain and develop relationships with select brokers to optimise profitable growth. The focus is to move the relationship with brokers from a trusted relationship to a trading partnership and secure profitable renewals and generate new business in line with strategy and within agreed processes and risk appetite. You will apply a range of underwriting, and relationship management techniques to optimise sustainable profitable business growth
You will spend the majority of your time working with brokers identifying, discussing, negotiating and seeking to convert new and existing business opportunities and making effective underwriting decisions. Using your well-developed relationship management and communication skills you will:
• Establish effective business relationships with your select broker partners and manage the underwriting of a portfolio of accounts.
• Hold and maintain a senior underwriting license and you will be responsible for coaching others and act as a referral point.
• Be the expert in your particular class of business (Property & Packages), and meet governance and compliance standards within your area of expertise
• Review large, complex or specialist cases and delivering underwriting decisions within agreed timeframes, in order to secure profitable business within authority level and risk appetite
• Work with account managers to input into segment and local business development plans which identify existing and regular flow of new business opportunities
- Reviewing large, complex or specialist cases and delivering underwriting decisions within agreed timeframes, in order to secure profitable business within authority level and risk appetite
- Work with account managers to input into segment and local business development plans which identify existing and regular flow of new business opportunities
- Establishing an effective relationship with Account Management colleagues and others to have common goals and act as one team
- Actively managing and developing a portfolio of accounts to maximise profitable revenue potential from new and renewal business
- Supports Account Managers in identifying, prioritising, negotiating and winning of new Account relationships in line with strategy
- Accessing and applying all appropriate sources of information and insight in order to meet the needs of selected brokers and clients, whilst balancing business requirements
- Clearly and positively articulating proposition and risk appetite internally and externally
- Trading underwriting skills
- Understanding the Why RSA story and proposition
- Understanding our marketplace and key competitors
- Understanding your insurance market
- Effective broker account development and management
- Trading successfully in the insurance marketplace
- Experience working across functions / matrix organisation to collaborate and build strong relationships
A welcoming, diverse and inclusive culture is an important element for RSA in our best-in-class ambition. RSA thrives when everyone feels comfortable bringing their best self to work. We celebrate difference, whilst striving to create an environment where colleagues feel respected and valued for their unique potential. Our commitment to diversity is sincere, continually growing and led right from the top.
If you require flexibility in when, where or how you work, we’d love to hear from you. We also want to ensure that you are supported throughout the application process to enable you to be at your best. If you require adjustments during your application process, please flag this on your application form.