Avencia consulting are working with an established professional Financial and Professional Risks team. They are seeking an Underwriter to help push the growth of their Management Liability book - with a focus on commercial D&O.
Prior experience of management liability would be ideal, but this employers is open to applications from candidates with the ability to push growth, with a transferable background eg financial institutions.
The wider division is comprised of six underwriting teams (Cyber, Energy, Equine & Livestock, Marine, Professional & Financial Risks, and Trade Credit, Political Risk & Surety), as well as an award winning claims team, underwriting support, delegated underwriting, and strategic business development. They have staff around the world with a significant presence in Asia and the US, in addition to the London market.
Professional & Financial Risks (PFR) focus on international and UK-domiciled business and can deploy capacity of £10m/€ 15m/$20m on any one risk. The team is made up of three business lines, Professional Indemnity, Management Liability and Financial Institutions. They provide excellent service via their expert underwriters who are available both at Lloyd's and in the offices and have a flexible and innovative approach to underwriting that ensures that we can provide the product required for their customers. This role is based in the Management Liability team.
* Manage book of business in line with appetite and strategy, including combined ratio targets
* Review and underwriting of new and renewal risks using technical rating model
* Attend client meetings and build good relationships with clients
* Develop strong relationships with existing and new brokers
* Help to develop and maintain strong working relationships with all relevant stakeholders
Skills & experience
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
* Understand the principles of technical rating engines and monitoring portfolio rate adequacy according to the business' underwriting principles and in line with authority limits
* Use analytical skills to enhance the business' underwriting capabilities (e.g. loss performance and underwriting efficiency)
* Navigate the complexities of drafting/amending a wording/ clause
* Proactively develop, own and enhance customer portfolio for class of business
* Help support the regular update of a broker/customer engagement plan for a portfolio of brokers and use this to drive quote requests and conversion
* Promote self and business externally as thought leaders/ class experts
* Demonstrate a collegiate mentality and be able to work within a team of Underwriters
* Have experience of working in the management liability class
* Be computer literate and have the ability to develop a full understanding and capability of in-house and MS systems